Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Change



Change of bag...Change of mind!

My Roberson HP sketchbook has brought about a change of handbag. My trendy, small khaki bag was too small for my new journal so I dug out the bag my Mum bought for me last Christmas that has a zipper going all the way around the bag, allowing it to open fully. It has nifty little pockets and pouches here there and everywhere and even a place for pens and my mobile phone. I had forgotten I had it stashed away in my cupboard, it's perfect!
I'm a bit lazy with accessory changes, I tend to wear the same earrings for months on end, keep the same purse until the zipper gives out and handbags are something I change more to accommodate items rather than match clothing.

This isn't the only change the Roberson has created. You may remember my poor review of the HP sketchbook a couple of days ago (HERE) Well, I've had a change of heart.
While I stand by my statement that the 90lb paper buckles under wet washes, this is the Roberson's only downfall BUT, if you can work with it, the paper flattens out beautifully smooth after the book has been closed for a short while.
After working with it for a few days, enjoying each day more than the last, I suddenly realised that part of my initial disappointment was probably due to my own inexperience of HP watercolour paper. Until this year, the only watercolour paper I used regularly was Bockingford NOT 200lb.
Now, a few days in, I realise the beauty of this wonderful book. Writing in her is a dream, the pen glides, washes are clear and easily moved around and the size is manageable for journaling.
The only downside left is that a double page spread would have to be scanned in two halves.

I don't think I will be able to purchase the Roberson again, the stockist I used is not re-stocking this item but I have found a HP sketchbook with thicker 140lb HP paper in exactly the same size format and now I know that I can work with 90lb HP paper as well as 140lb, it gives me the freedom to purchase handmade items from places such as Etsy.

5 comments:

dibujandoarte said...

love the detail and leather look of the bag. Sorry I didn't read all the text though. Good sketch! Greetings.

Nina Johansson said...

Great work on the drawings! The paragraph you wrote about being lazy with changing accessories is an exact description of me - we sure have something in common there! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this bag with its great colour...I'm like you. I only change accessories when something wears out! I have had the same bag for years..it just works and I pray it won't wear out.
ronell

mARTa said...

I LOVE handbags! I have way too many (like shoes) but the past few years I have found myself shopping for a bag with a sketchbook in hand to make sure it fits! I think your bag is way cool and I like the whole composition of this sketch...the manakin, the colors and the colorful shaped buttons on the bag!

Anonymous said...

Other things we have in common, :). I wear the same jewelry, accessories until they can't be worn anymore. Love the bag and your sketch of it. Nicely done.