Saturday, October 20, 2012

Floods Ferry Road, Doddington, Cambridgeshire UK

27-09-12 by Anita Davies
27-09-12, a photo by Anita Davies on Flickr.
My first spread in the Stillman & Birn sketchbook, created before I went to Spain (I just couldn't wait to try it out!)
I took the Floods Ferry Road home from grocery shopping on purpose as I saw the rain coming and the sky change colour. The great thing about the Fens is it's skies, it is so flat here that your view from almost anywhere is 90% sky! The sun was still hanging on in there as the backdrop changed to a deep purple shade and the lime greens against the purple blues was not to be missed.
I worked quickly, which was made difficult by the fact that I had only a small square brush in the car, so I literally soaked the paper ( several times) so that I could work it with the small brush, over and over again. The paper held out fantastically, even though the Alpha series claims it can take 'light washes' it is quite evident that it is being modest. The surface didn't break once!
Now it's dry the slight buckling has almost completely disappeared too!
The colours stay fresh and rich too, often with the cartridge sketchbooks I use I notice they loose their vibrancy once dried. Ink flows nicely from my Lamy Safari, so sketching is a delight!

All in all, a very enjoyable few minutes getting to know this paper before the rain set in....Now, if only they would stock them in the UK. I purchased mine from Amazon and the postage was rather steep...which gave me the great excuse to purchase two!

1 comment:

Stillman and Birn said...

Thank you so much, Anita, for your generous comments.