Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Beeb



Isn't the BBC fantastic? So many wonderful programmes on art and such amazing costume dramas too!
I was lucky enough to catch a programme on Tuesday entitled 'Imagine: Let there be light' that focused on American artist James Turrell and his wonderful creations that stir the senses using light as his main medium.

I also caught the second part in the BBC4 series 'Picture Book' on Wednesday. This week's episode spotlighted books for young readers and offered a feast of wonderful illustrations from books such as 'Winnie the Pooh' and 'The Wind in the Willows'.
Books were not a huge part of my childhood, infact I don't remember a single one until, as a teenager, I read the Adrian Mole Diaries.
As someone who now wishes to venture into writing and illustrating a book for children, this series has been a priceless form of research and I am really looking forward to the final part on Wednesday this week.

Picture Book Pt3 - BBC4 - 9pm - 19th November



5 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, gosh, Anita! There's a world of wonderful children's books out there well worth reading, even as an adult. Some of the illustrations are delicious, too! I do hope you take a trip to the library or large bookstore and spend some time browsing in the children's section. :)

As always, I love your spreads!

Margaret Ann said...

Im hooked on childreen's books as well...have a whole collection of alphabet books...and even starting "writing" one of my own...maybe I should revisit that project...The BBC programs sounds great.

Love the textural/grid effect on the top spread...Was it appllied as an overly or was it place under your paper and painted over...sort of like embossed???

Margaret Ann said...

Um...May I should spellcheck before I think of writing anything any more EVER!!! Geesch! LOL :)

Dianne said...

I love your bright and beautiful sketch and it does catch the light. BBC yowzer is a wonderful outlet for us arties, nothign like that here in Canada. I did watch a movie last night of Thomas Kinkade, it tells how he started his art and found the light. I love to see your light every day here. Thanks for sharing with us..

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Wish I'd spotted the James Turrell programme. After our short ??????chat, I read my new A & I mag and to my surprise there were 3 articles on children's book illustration - new illustrator Stuart Trotter for Rupert Bear, Raymond Briggs' Snowman series and Saul Steinberg's cover illustrations for the New Yorker mag. I'll keep it for you.