Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Snapshot Sketching



Early hours of this morning found me flicking through the photo files on my computer, stirring memories. This particular photo had me thinking about my good friend Joannie and it wasn't long before my fingers were twitching and my sketchbook was in my hand.
I tried to sketch from the image on my computer just as I would when I sketch on location, loosely, carefree and lead-free, concentrating on emotion and atmosphere.

A most enjoyable exercise that left me longing to do more and perhaps even dabble into the old paper photographs in my sideboard taken before I had the luxury of a digital camera.

7 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Lovely and free sketch... you managed to breath life into the scene for sure.

Margaret Ann said...

This is really serene and calming...gorgeous palette! :)

kazumiwannabe said...

I can hear the seagulls! Love this!

Deb said...

How lovely....beautifully done!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Oh how lovely to see this post of our day together with the children at St Peter Scotts lighthouse - am I right?? When I first looked at it I thought of your visits since we moved to the Broads but that wasnt right. Arent memories wonderful. Laura and the girls went home this morning (having arrived Sunday) so bit shattered!!! with out and about trips and providing meals!!! Great though to have them here near me. We have lots of fun together.

Gillian Mowbray said...

A beautiful sketch. What a good idea to simply sketch from the monitor too! x

mARTa said...

Something I find very hard to do. I can't seem to be able to transition from a photo or computer monitor to paper and have it look natural. Yours is splendid and breathes 'life' I would not have guessed it was from a photo