Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Home

27-04-13 by Anita Davies
27-04-13, a photo by Anita Davies on Flickr.
I sketch directly in ink with a Lamy Safari fountain pen for all of my sketchbook images, as time has gone on my results have got more accurate and faster and I believe that is because I left the safety of an eraser behind and all mistakes show which makes me chose my lines more carefully and think before laying down line. However, there are times when I think that having a few pencil guidelines might a) speed things up b) help avoid perspective mistakes such as the ones in this sketch.
I believe the sketch still works, it shows quite clearly 3 different spaces in my home and has a certain character to it BUT I am aware that a few things are a little out of 'bonk' too that I feel could have been resolved with a few pencil 'map' lines at the start, it would certainly make life easier for me at times with subjects that have complex perspective issues such as this. Whenever I get tempted like this (note to self top RHS corner of the spread) I reflect on it the next day and remember that it was leaving the safety net behind that gave me progress and that this is my journal, a place to practice, study, log my day....a very personal space for my art, life and growth. So I have decided to resist the pencil urge and work this angle of my home another day, perhaps challenging myself to come up with a way to visually map what I want on the page better....in ink!

No comments: