Sunday, May 13, 2012

Rome 06-05-12 - Page 1

Rome06-05-12a by Anita Davies
Rome06-05-12a, a photo by Anita Davies on Flickr.
The Colosseum
What an amazing piece of architecture, the top section looks like it could just flop down any minute. LOL! It started to shower while I was inside so I found a place to sit with shelter and started this sketch......the rain got harder...EVERYONE joined me! Ah well, I managed something. I wanted to visit many spots in Rome for their treasures, their artists or their architecture but I had wanted to visit the Colesseum to 'feel' it, to have the hairs on my arms stand up at the sheer indulgence of man and the pain he is willing to inflict on his own. To then understand that thousands of 'spectators' came here to watch under the umbrella of 'entertainment' is just mind boggling to me. The actual arena was much smaller than I imagined....it must have been terrifying!

No comments: