Saturday, April 21, 2012

Peterborough Greyhound Stadium, Cambridgeshire. UK.

24-03-12b by Anita Davies
24-03-12b, a photo by Anita Davies on Flickr.
Celebrating my son Harrys 14th birthday back in March. We had a great night.
Noodlers bullet proof black ink and watercolour in Moleskine watercolour folio.

SOME THOUGHTS ON RECENT SKETCHBOOK CHOICES
The A4 Folio has taken some getting used to because of it's landscape format it opens up so wide! It felt very awkward at first, especially on location, but I am getting used to it a little better now. The paper has been a dream to work with after completing so many sketchbooks filled with cartridge paper.
I've been using larger sketchbooks recently in preparation for my Rome trip, where I would like to work a little bigger. I thought I would switch now so it felt more comfortable to me when I got there.
The Saunders Waterford HP I took to Cornwall was lovely but being more square in format meant that it also took me a while to get used to a new layout dimension. It does not fit the A4 scanner too well!
The Moleskine Folio opens so wide I am worried it would hinder me from 'whipping' my book out in some instances for a quick sketch. It scans a page well but not the double spread obviously, so I've been avoiding going across the stitching.
The book I am thinking of taking is a Saunders Waterford NOT A4 portrait book (Birthday Gift from my Son). I think it resolves the wide layout of the Folio while still allowing me a larger book. I am thinking of turning it Landscape way around so the layout is identical to an A5 just without the stitching running through each page. The beauty of this means the book would open UP rather than ACROSS my lap. I would still be using the A5 format I am so used to but there would be the advantage of having 2 of these spreads showing together when viewing AND the opportunity for a large scene across both pages if required. Being A4 means I can scan a single page easily, although double spread would require photographing or editing (which I am totally ignorant to! LOL!)
So, that's where I'm at so far in my sketchbook endeavours. Now if Moleskine would just make a PORTRAIT wc sketchbook, we wouldn't have these problems would we!

No comments: