Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Basilica of St Francis, Assisi


22-09-10
Originally uploaded by Anita Davies

Assisi is my preparation sketch this time and the Basilica of St Francis.

Noodlers red/blk in and a splash of watercolour..A timed sketch of 10 mins.

I am frustrated by the shadow I'm getting when scanning these spreads, the pages are causing a slight ridge that the scanner seems to emphasise....Annoying! This would make things tricky if I wanted to do anything with the sketches I make during my actual trip on my return. I do have a couple of sketchbooks filled with same paper, made by the same company that are accordian in style. They come complete with fancy boxed covers and as they are accordian...they lie completely flat. The trick would be keeping the pages together while I sketch so they don't cascade all over the place on location but I think two carefully placed elastic bands would solve this.
I am so pleased I decided to test the sketchbook before I go. Other perks to creating a preparation sketchbook is that I have somewhere to channel my overwhelming excitement, which I am sure is boring my family rigid, and I get to see what kind of palette I will require...as I intend to take a more limited palette than the one I use at home but with bigger wells so I don't run out of the colours I need.

No comments: