Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tonal Study in Ink


Benwick River - tonal study in Ink - 21 x 13cms - ©Anita Davies

Took Mum and Harry for a walk along Benwick river a few days back and managed a quick tonal study from the bridge while I was there.

The sketch was actually made in one of my three new hand*book journals that Sandy kindly sent over for me after reading that I couldn't find them in the UK. (Thanks Sandy) However, it soon became apparent to me that the paper would not be able to take all the experimentation I had planned for it this year with my 'Mixed Views' project, so I ripped it out and stuck it into a large Canson watercolour sketchbook. I plan to use the hand*book journal for my 'People' project once the few pages I have left in my little Canson are full.

I liked the cross section view of the Fen and the way the turbine in the distance pulled your eye back into the composition as it drifted with the row of trees.
It's such a beautiful spot.

I used a waterbrush filled with diluted black ink to paint with and a 0.2 pigment liner to sketch with...There's a little white gel pen along the river's edge too.

4 comments:

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Forever the experimenter my friend. Great combination of materials.

Terri Kahrs said...

Wouldn't have thought using a waterbrush with diluted black ink. Fantastic idea! Love the sketch and the perspective. You're making my long to start sketching again.
Hugs,
Terri :)

Mrs Mac said...

Beautiful and so clever.

(As always!)

winna said...

sure like that comp and admire your doing it----aalso I liked how you discribed it