Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Sir Peter Scott's Lighthouse



On a recent trip to St Matthews art exhibit, my good friend Joan and I took a detour over to Sir Peter Scott's lighthouse, just a few minutes drive up the road. We were thrilled to find that our visit had coincided with the recent exhibition of Sir Peter's art works inside the lighthouse. We paid our £1 donation and went inside.

David Joel and his wife currently own the lighthouse and have done for the past 25 years. David has written two books, both of which were present at the exhibit.
"Monet at Vetheuil 1878-1883" (ISBN 1-85149-423-5) is a detailed account of Monet's life during that period, David was granted access to the Monet/Hoschede family archives and photographs, as a result the book contains detailed accounts, exhibition details and palette notes.
My dear friend Joannie purchased a copy for me, had David Joel sign it and wrap it discreetly in a Tesco carrier bag. Being a nosey, attentive type I noticed the bag immediately and begged to know what she had purchased...Me and my big mouth!!!
Still, the gift was cherished as much than if it had been passed to me on our return home (Thank you Joannie)

After looking through some of David's own paintings, displayed in the garage, Joan and I walked around to the side of the lighthouse to grab a quick record in our journals and a few snapshots.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a great image and a lovely gift!

Terry Banderas said...

Anita--
I continue to enjoy your sketches. Colorful with few lines. Your art is a great example how simply one can draw and sketch.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

What a lovely description of our great day together.

Anita Davies said...

Thank you Stephanie and Terry.

It was a great day Joan!