Sunday, October 14, 2007

Autumn Squares


As you are by now probably aware, I have a habit of setting myself, often ridiculous, challenges. I find they help motivate and inspire. I have set myself another challenge for October & November.
I have a square Seawhite sketchbook that measures just under 6 inches square, in fact I have many sketchbooks, this is just one of the blank beauties that line my bookshelf. I purchased a variety of sketchbooks early in the year in the search to experiment with each and find one I could use as a daily journal starting from this Christmas. It has not been as easy as I first thought, some are wonderful for certain things while others are better for certain things, no one sketchbook seems to give me everything I need. I wish I knew how to and could be bothered to bind my own as I feel, through much reading, that a book filled with a smooth Arches paper would fill my needs.
Anyone reading that is interested in creating such a book for me?
Anyway, the Seawhite square book....
I have challenged myself to fill the entire 95 pages of this little book by Christmas, when I hope to start a Christmas journal. On average, this means I will have to fill at least 10 pages a week!
Finding a theme or subject is always a task but once you grab at something it is amazing where it can lead. I 'grabbed' at a couple of perfume bottles which lead to me searching the word 'beauty' on the internet, which lead to me reading about Nefertiti who is considered a symbol of classical beauty...

...which lead to me browsing one of my Son's history books and discovering information on Canopic Jars...

From the scent of Ted Baker into the mystical tombs of ancient Egypt, all in the turn of a page!

I am hoping that by having to come up with varied subjects and themes to fill all of these pages so quickly, I will stretch my mind and dip into areas that perhaps would not have occurred to me.
This year has been largely about 'broadening my horizons', observation and experimentation. I am very happy with my journey through this path so far and already feel that this challenge will add to the experience.

12 comments:

Meinhild Selbach said...

Anita, I think giving yourself challenges is the key to your great journey this year. A couple of weeks ago I looked at your entired blog and wow what a great proof of stretching and growing. Have a nice journey through Christmas. I will be looking at your posts, but most likely not leaving a comment every day.
Greeting from sunny Lyons.
Meinhild (http://meinhild.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! Love the pathway you took from "beauty" and can't wait to see more of your work in this journal.

I followed the instructions from EDM to recycle a few books - not very difficult for me since I started with the old cover boards - and had pages from the original book to use as a guide for the sheet size - and signature holes.

Hope you find the perfect journal. I'm disappointed that so many companies still don't hear all of us complaining about the lack of good WC journals.

Felicity Grace said...

Good luck, it sounds like a wonderful creative idea!

Claudia said...

This is a great idea! Maybe I should do something similar, because I have so many sketchbooks on my shelf...and the worst, I bought another one t o d a y ...

Anonymous said...

great stuff, i really like the october page with the tree

Anita Davies said...

Thankyou Meinhild. I am flattered to have so many wonderful artists follow my progress, your company and encouragement means so much.

Anita Davies said...

Thankyou Shirley.
It is amazing isn't it that there still isn't a perfect sketchbook out there, I have come so close.
I have never been excited by any form of stitching but I have recently discovered the acordian format...I may just give it a whirl!

Anita Davies said...

Thanx Felicity!

Anita Davies said...

Claudia it is addictive isn't it!

Anita Davies said...

Thankyou Pete.

Anonymous said...

Anita, your challenges have shown me how important it is to set ourselves up. No matter how ridiculous or out of reach it seems. That's how we grow and you are definitely proof of that! These are wonderful!

Anita Davies said...

Thank you!
I think we waste alot of time thinking...What shall I sketch?
So having a goal allows us to take full control of the 'windows' we get throughout the day, making each moment constructive.