Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Scavenge Through 2006

Inspiration has struck me like a truck going 120mph on the motorway and I've been very busy the last couple of days creating, sketching and planning characters for a book...It is very exciting!

So, with nothing new I can show you, I thought it would be a good idea to show you some of my sketches from my first sketch books which I started in 2006, yes, just a year ago! It all started when I ventured over to the 'Art from life' forum on the Wet Canvas website. I clicked on the thread entitled 'Scavenger Hunt' with curiosity and found a list of 26 items and a deadline of seven days until the next hunt began. All items on the list had to be sketched from life and, although the prospect scared me a little, I felt I owed it to myself to break away from the static images I'd been used to and improve my sketching abilities by capturing the things around me in my sketchbook...that is, after I had actually purchased one!

The Scavenger Hunts set me free and have not only improved my drawing ability but my vision, confidence and imagination have blossomed because of them.

Here are a few of those sketches, my first taste of sketchbooks and the start of my present passion:





Hunt #1 - Still life in pen and wash
Hunt #2 - Fish ornament in pen and wash
Hunt #3 - Water pistol in Pitt brush pens
Hunt #4 - Human Eye in pen and wash

14 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, Anita, how humbling! I knew your work was fantastic and I remember these from the scavenger hunts, but had no idea they were your first sketches from life! Gosh...

caseytoussaint said...

You really started off with a bang! I'd never post the first sketches I did a few years ago...

Anita Davies said...

Thankyou Leslie. :)

Anita Davies said...

Thanx Casey, obviously I chose some of the nicer sketches, believe me, there are others that I now look upon that tell me just how much I have learned!

Robyn Sinclair said...

I remember these too! They were a very impressive start. Good luck with your book.

mrana said...

Wow, and they were great sketches too Anita!

laserone_ said...

Oh I love the crab! Too cute!!!

Serena Lewis said...

Love the sketches, Anita, especially the eye!

Anita Davies said...

Thanx Robyn!

Anita Davies said...

Thanx mrana!

Anita Davies said...

Isn't he adorable Laser!

Anita Davies said...

Thanx Serena!

Anonymous said...

Great illustrations. From what I've seen of your talent, I know you will come up with and create some great characters for the book.

Anita Davies said...

Awww, thankyou so much Phthalo! :)