Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Kitchen Memoirs

















A new scavenger hunt began today on the "Art from Life" forum on the Wet Canvas website, excitedly I rushed around with my print out, rummaging through the kitchen to find items on the list.

I selected a few I thought would group together nicely:
3 items from the kitchen
1 item that starts with the letter “E”
1 bowl
1 wooden item


I chose:
1 T-Towel - 1 Tray - 1 Bag of flour
Eggs
A metal bowl
A wooden spoon


…The metal bowl must have been selected during a moment of insanity, who in their right mind would challenge themselves like that?
I created a small still life with my discoveries and set myself the target of 90 minutes to create a small painting, another challenge…Hmmmm…I see a pattern forming!
I chose an 11x15” Bockingford watercolour block as my surface and began to sketch, choosing to ignore the time (1.40am)

Flicking my eyes up to sketch the flour, I was unexpectedly reminded of my Nan, my Fathers Mum. She baked constantly and she was a fantastic cook. I can remember her lemon meringue pie so well I can almost taste it now, the topping was always just the right texture; soft inside and crunchy on top. I’ve never been able to find a pie that comes close to hers. Funny the things we remember people for, the little personal things that make people special to us in some way. I wonder if she ever considered that her Granddaughter would remember her for her lemon meringue pie and, if she knew, would she be flattered or insulted?


So… 90 minutes later, here I sit with one still life painting in acrylic and a stomach grumbling so loud that it could wake the house!


"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

3 comments:

Missy said...

I came to peek from wetcanvas! This watercolor is lovely! I too now want to go make a mess in the kitchen. ;)

Anita Davies said...

Caren thankyou for your comments on my work, glad you feel I pulled the metal bowl off ok.
I'm curious...Did you make lemon meringue pie?

Anita Davies said...

Mama, thankyou for taking the time to pop over from Wet Canvas and post your kind words.
That's the problem with cooking isn't it?...The mess!